Porcelain dental veneers are a beautiful way to correct stained, chipped, or crooked teeth. By placing a customized porcelain shell over the surface of the tooth, dentists can provide patients with bright, aligned, and natural looking smiles. Dental flaws that may have been a source of embarrassment or discomfort for years can be corrected with porcelain veneers in as little as one or two appointments. If you are considering porcelain veneers and would like more information, please continue reading, as we have put together a comprehensive guide of everything you need to know, so you can make an informed decision.
Porcelain Veneers Placement Procedure
Placement of porcelain veneers is one that requires the skill, precision, and artistry of a talented cosmetic dentist. Your first appointment will go as follows:
- The dentist will prepare each tooth for the veneers by removing about 1/2 millimeter of enamel from the surface.
- The treatment area will be numbed with a local anesthetic so you do not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
- Once each tooth has been prepared, an impression of the teeth is made. This impression allows the specialists at the dental laboratory to fabricate custom fit veneers.
- The veneers will be ready to be placed in one to two weeks; in the meantime, your dentist will place temporary veneers over your teeth.
When the permanent veneers are ready, you will return for a second appointment to have your permanent veneers placed:
- Your dentist will evaluate the veneers next to your teeth and further trim and adjust them.
- The teeth will be cleaned and polished, and etched so the bonding solution adheres to the teeth.
- Each veneer is then secured to the teeth with cement.
- The dentist will provide you with necessary aftercare instructions.
- Confidently leave the dentist’s office with a brand new, beautiful smile.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneers
The first step in your journey toward perfecting your smile involves a consultation with a skilled cosmetic dentist to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment. Ideal candidates for porcelain veneers have healthy teeth and gums, and would like to improve the appearance of their smiles. Porcelain veneers can mask a range of dental flaws, including:
- Gaps or spaces between teeth
- Chipped, cracked, and damaged teeth
- Crooked, uneven teeth
- Worn enamel
- Recessed teeth
- Discolorations or yellowed teeth
- Irregularly shaped teeth
- Teeth that are too short or too long
Your dentist will provide you with alternatives should it be established that you are not a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
Cosmetic digital imaging is provided by many dentists to aid patients considering porcelain veneers in their decision making process. Cosmetic digital imaging allows the dentist to give patients a visual picture of the end result, without actually performing any treatment. Cosmetic digital imaging, however, is meant to serve only as a guide and it is important that patients have realistic expectations of the end result.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers offer patients a number of excellent benefits, which include:
- Natural-looking results
- Made from extremely durable material
- Minimally-invasive procedure
- Resistant to staining
- Correct multiple flaws
- Long-lasting solution – 10 to 15 years
- Restore strength and functionality to the teeth
- Customized for your individual smile
- Relatively quick process – one to two appointments
- Restore your confidence, smile proudly